Sunday, June 21, 2009

Free Write 1

These arent going to have any specific topic, theyre simply my current thoughts. Theyll often be sort of scrambled and jump between topics. If your reading...I hope you can keep up.

Woke up this morning hardly feeling new. Its fathers day & i was in a pretty shitty mood to be honest because i was going to brunch for my step dad which got me thinking about my dad and lately thats not something i enjoy doing. Why? Well im not going to make that public right now, but its possible in the future. We went to this spot in manyunk there was live music which was pretty dope, real soulful tunes which really meshed nicely with the overall vibe. I dug it pretty hard, the more time progressed the more i enjoyed myself, I had a good mimosa (one of my favorite drinks) which added to the positive vibe because its been a while since i last had one. after brunch we went to the city and peeped some interior design shops and galleries which really put my mind at ease, Art & design are things i forget i enjoy because im not around them as often as id like to be. whenever i am around them im more relaxed probably because of the intelligence and detail behind them. I came home to find my weekend plans have fallen through and immediately contracted a headache, which has been happening a lot lately & i really dont like that. before i would just get angry or a little disgruntled, later discover the bright side, say "its whatev" and move on, now im experiencing physical discomfort...i dont like that one bit. But writing helps i guess. doing these free writes are more therapeutic than anticipated.
I decided that while in these galleries and stores that i want to adopt a hobby. I dont know which to endeavor. I sort of want to do something with my hands, build something 3 dimensional, something i can look at and say "yea i made that" sort of like the legos i used to play with when i was a kid, i would sit in my room for hours on end and construct buildings, cars and scenarios entirely out of lego's. at christmas i didnt want clothes, i didnt want water pistols or games, i wanted the 89.99 lego set, the one on the bottom shelf of the lego section. the one where a section of a city was to be built. i remember the jungle scenario, the space station scenario. The funny thing is that i never looked at the directions i sat on my floor, stood the box up in front of me and assembled the pieces to mimic what was on the box, the left over pieces were build into additional buildings or used to make cars more elaborate. I remember hating"kennex" someone once bought me a box of kennex for my birthday and i never opened it. for one all the pieces were straight lines, after composing a building anything 3 dimensional, it just looked like the final product wasnt complete. it didnt seem authentic, the bad guy cant hide from the hero in a building completely made of bars....legos just made sense, they were blocks, i could crash a car into a building and get the expected response from each device, the car would have more damage than the building, thats what would happen in reality and thats what i expected in my toy reality. I remember when they released the bigger lego men. they were like double the size of the originals, they still bring a smile to my face, now i had giants in my fantasy world...imagine the joy haha. (my headache is slowly subsiding)
I noticed something about my taste today, im a person who's into classic things, i dont like a lot of flash, i dont really like contemporary trends. We were in a more modern furniture store today and the pieces were interesting to look at, theyre the kind of peices that look cool in music video's in LA houses but i dont think theyre very functional, i think theyre terribly over priced, because contemporary pieces are priced as a piece of art rather than the result of a skilled craftsmen, your paying for the artist's creative idea coming to life. I like pieces made from wood, things that was assembled by a master of the craft. where the distance between the beginning & end result, what it started as and what it is now can be appreciated. I find it amazing the pieces that can be composed from a simple tree in the woods, and i have a special respect for craftsmen and all those who work with theyre hands. A lot of things are digital today, and the skill behind erecting an armoire desk or audamin from scratch is often forgotten..but not by me

Respect Classics
Ds&Ps

No comments:

Post a Comment