Thursday, June 18, 2009

AmericaN History X




This is a film I probably never would've viewed had it not been recommended to me several times. If you've seen it, good. If you havent, watch it. Its a damn good movie. The manner which it flashed back and forth was entertaining & conveyed its message ideally. Edward Norton (who in the first scene exhibits impeccable aim) is just a 'G' on each side he advocates. The film does a great job of portraying the unintelligence behind racism, but also how hardcore some racist were and still are. I must say it made me a little more upset at the word "nigger" Anyone who knows me knows i couldnt care less about the word used in any context. Prior to seeing this film if someone who wasnt African American called me a "nigger" with intent to harm it would bounce off of me. I define a "nigger" as something and someone im not, i take as much offense to it as i would if someone called me giraffe. I suppose its because ive been fortunate enough to have never knowingly been around someone who was truly racist ive never seen them depicted as vividly as this film portrays them. This film made me truly despise anyone who's racist whereas i would previously brush them off and deem their views as ignorance. I now do the same but with a little anger behind my deeming. I appreciate & equally dislike how African-American's have made it a term of endearment. (this is turning into a post about the word "nigger") Wait...im going to go in on this. I dislike the thought behind African Americans calling each other the very word Caucasians referred to us as to dehumanize us. But I do believe wiping the word out turns it to what saying "voldemort" in Hogwarts is. It gives it too much power. And realistically the words never going to be completely wiped out (not with rap music the way it is these days..) In this case the only way to eliminate something that owned you is to own it, and thats whats going on.

Wale says it best:
And P say that I should stop saying nigga,
But if I did, what would be the difference?
I'd still be a nigga, he'd still be a nigga in his feelings,
I'd still be a nigga with no deal tryna get one,
There'd still be niggas out killing,
And still be white people still out to get us,
And still be niggas saying whites tryna get us,
And still be lazy and paranoid niggas,
I'm paramount, nigga, I am, and you can't be mad,
Cuz I choose the word nigga, lemme air it out, nigga,
Nigga ain't bad, see, niggas just had,
A clever idea to take something They said,
Into something we have, something we flipped
Into something with swag, nigga, don't be mad,

I cant debate that.
But back to the movie. The caption "Some Legacies, Must End" fits the film perfectly. I believe the moral of the story is that 'niggers' (the way i define them) never let things go.





'A' or 'Er'?
Ds&Ps

No comments:

Post a Comment