Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Best of This Guy

[haha]

A flood of features and mixtapes have surfaced ever since "Tha Carter II"'s release. Hundreds of high caliber verses combined to form a perfect storm over the last 2-3 years. It seemed like each time I crowned a verse as top dog one released the next week made me reconsider my lyrical crowning. The verses finally appear to be flowing at a manageable pace making it possible to review each drop in the bucket and order them based upon exceptionality. Just about every verse Wayne spits is lyrically potent. Therefore, I made my decision based upon length, consistency and flow. It is as follows:


5. Sportscenter-This verse reminds me of the gun Will Smith was given in "Men in Black" (The Cricket I think it was called) it's small but it packs a huge punch. The entire track is under three minutes long but in that time you're completely astounded. The beat is original, the flow is spot on and the sports motif is executed flawlessly.

["Lookin' for a lady, high and sedated got her to the pad I dont know how a nigga made it, she gave me relations so now we're related, the morning comes the picture faded"]


4. Get 'Em (Dedication 2)- It was pretty easy for me to place this one on the list. The way it begins is full of poise and lets you know immediately that he's about to put forth an extra effort. This track is full of energy and charisma. Wayne's voice sounds great over the beat and he shows off a very high level of lyricism and flow. He always does exceptional work when he and Drama pair up and this is a great example of that, this could be the best song in the entire dedication series.

["Walkin' that line with a lot on my mind, I get that money never droppin a dime, I dont hate never not on my time, I'll put that little red dot on your mind, talkin' that crime but a lot of 'em lyin'"]


3. Knuck if You Buck
-Wow. This song is the one that really made me respect Wayne as an artist. Definitely one of the most popular young money songs created. It's one of the songs where the beat drops and everyone's like "yesssss" and prepares to recite. A great beat as well as a difficult one to rap over. Mac Maine gives a very nice introduction, his first line is a great quotable. You hear Wayne ad libbing through the first building suspense and he destroys it. This is the song where I had to begin incorporate additional factors into the ordering process. He's simply relentless over the beat, its an amazing exhibition of his flow and the lyrics are utterly amazing. He literally out performs the beat and makes everyone forget about the songs original artists, it belongs to Wayne now. The first time I listened to it I had to stop it several times due to overload. He throws so much at the listener at once and you figure a few mistakes may have went unnoticed in the process but upon re listening you realize every single line is perfect.

["challenge me, that'd be to my advantage, I'm outstanding like standing outside up in a twister and walking not damaged, standing outside up in a blizzard and walking hot handed, serving nickle bags in Iraq bet I will not panic, swerve the nickle black if i wreck? bet i will not panic, cop another one the next day and drive it crazier."]


2. Tha Mobb- This is where length started to come into the equation. This is number 2 because this is how he began the his album. He gave a taste with "Fly In" and made us wonder what was coming up next then he stuffs a flawless verse down our throats. Its relentless. For five minutes he raps. Over a beat with a simple melody some snare and some base. It actually sounds like the beat is crying from a lyrical beating. There's so much going on in this song simultaneously. This song doesn't make you press pause due to the energy it carries. You instead sit in silence nodding your head becoming more captivated with each line, and just as you become comfortable with the idea that you may be in the middle of the a ten minute rap song...it stops. But when it does you're changed, something different, something that wasn't there before you pressed play, and that is a feeling of certainty that you've just witnessed history being made.

["It's young tune the big kahuna, it's my ocean baby ya'll niggas is tuna, better now than sooner, junior, flyin' round your city tryna take a number two on ya"]


1. I'm Me -"The hottest nigga under the sun" starts an audio montage into one of the greatest rap songs ever made. This song is number one for length, quality, flow and genius. If I'm in an situation where someone claims Lil' Wayne isn't all he's cracked up to be. I select this song and right before pressing play remind them that what they're about to hear was never written down..ever. This song is number one because its epic. Its the song that changes the entire mood of a room when played. It's almost God-Like. You picture him upon a mountain top rapping with an orchestra at his back and a sea of awe stricken people at his face. This song finalizes Wayne's identity. All doubt ceases to exist. For four minutes fifty five seconds Lil' Wayne is the best rapper alive. This is the his best song because it's his most important song. There are nonbelievers before it but all are converted. It wasn't released on a widely popular mixtape, This masterpiece was peppered in a mixtape that many were unaware of, but once discovered his mass popularity was undeniable.

["Niggas ya'll don't see me cause Im better in bold, the only time I will depend is when I'm 70 years old, that's when I can't hold my shit within so I'll shit on myself, cause I'm so sick and tired of shitting on everybody else."]






Ds&Ps

No comments:

Post a Comment